UMHB strives to maintain a safe campus where personal safety is concerned. By taking reasonable precautions you can further reduce your chance of being a victim.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Know who is in the area to assist you. Know who belongs, and who does not belong.
- Remember that the general number for the UMHB Police is 254-295-5555 and from any campus phone you can also dial 911.
- Use the Escort Service when you are working or studying late at night.
- If your purse or backpack is taken, don't fight it. There is nothing in it that can't be replaced. It is not worth getting hurt over.
- Avoid walking alone as much as possible. Having other people nearby is a great defense. When you are alone be alert
- Walk confidently, directly and at a steady pace. Attackers look for someone who appears vulnerable.
- Walk near the curb; avoid shrubbery or other places of concealment.
- Avoid isolated or poorly-lit places and unpopulated areas, alleys, vacant lots or buildings.
- Be careful when people in a car stop and ask you for directions. Always reply from a distance; never get too close to the car.
- Do not let strangers into buildings or residential halls.
- When campus sirens activate move indoors and take shelter.
- Immediately report suspicious individuals and situations to the police department.
Remember that a criminal generally looks for a person who is alone.
Just because our crime rate is low when it comes to crimes against persons, that doesn't mean you can take your personal safety for granted. Make good decisions!